Friday, June 20, 2008

Dawn Phenomenon (DP), High Fasting BG's



Diabetes makes me feel like I am still in school, the only difference is Diabetes teaches me something new everyday...HAHAHA

At my last Endo visit I told Wesley that I was having extremely high fasting BG's. The only time I had high fasting BG's is when I first found out I was prego w/ Niya 2 yrs ago. I wasn't prego and I am not trying to get prego...not that it couldn't happen. God does what he wants to do, as much as we try to control things sometimes it's out of hands...LOL I jumped off the subject, that's another Blog Title. Anyway, back to the subject. Wesley said I was experiencing the Dawn Phenomenon. I've heard it mentioned a few times over at Tudiabetes.com; I have never researched it. I've never experienced DP until recently. Wesley and I decided to up my basal setting from .50 at 12-6 AM to .60, I haven't had a high fasting BG in the AM since then. I have been averaging between 85-95; ahhh!! back to normal.
I did some research and I found out what DP was and I thought I would share it with everyone....

Introducing DP to some and refreshing other's memories:
Very high blood glucose in the early morning due to the release of certain hormones in the middle of the night. The body makes certain hormones called counterregulatory hormones, which work against the action of insulin. These hormones, which include glucagon, epinephrine, growth hormone, and cortisol, raise blood glucose levels, when needed, by signaling the liver to release more glucose and by inhibiting glucose utilization throughout the body.

In the middle of the night, there is a surge in the amount of growth hormone the body releases, followed by a surge in cortisol, which effectively cranks up glucose production in the liver, presumably to prepare the body for daytime activity after a period of fasting. In people who don't have diabetes, these processes are offset by increased insulin secretion by the pancreas, so blood glucose levels remain relatively stable. However, in people with Type 1 diabetes, whose pancreases don't make insulin, and in people with Type 2 diabetes, whose livers may not respond to insulin well enough to stop glucose production, changes in glucose metabolism during sleep can have a profound effect on morning blood glucose levels. Typically, the blood glucose level rises between 4 AM and 8 AM.

I received the above info from www.diabetesselfmanagement.com, click Diabetes Definitions.

P.s.

If you are experiencing HIGH FASTING BG's please talk to your Healthcare Team. They will be able to adjust your medication or insulin as needed. LOL, I wouldn't want you stressing out like me for 2 weeks!!!

0 comments: