Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Niya

2 years old, Niya wants to be like her mother. She asked for a band aid to cover the left side of her tummy; she said she had a stomach ache. The band aid symbolizes the white pod I wear on my stomach she knows I can't take it off. Niya rubs the Pod everyday for a few seconds, saying Poor Mom. I guess I should have never under estimated her. She is a smart cookie....she picks up on things very fast.

Some may say, "Why do you let her see you inject your insulin?" I let her see because I have nothing to hide. I chose to educate her about diabetes at a young age. I am not ashamed. I do explain why I have to inject myself. Niya may not understand right now, but in a few years she will. She'll understand why Mom can't eat cake at a friends birthday party or why Mom can't eat funnel cake at the amusement park.

I know God is the ultimate decision maker. I pray my daughter will miss one trait that I have and that's being a diabetic---if diabetes finds it's way to her, I will be able to teach her and guide her, because I've been there and still will be going through it. I love her, just like any other parent....I don't want to see my baby go through the high's and low's of diabetes.

1 comments:

Teresa said...

You are doing a great job involving you daughter. Hope she never has to go through what you are. She will be educated either way and what a great thing that is. The more people educated the better off we all are.
Keep up the good work as a diabetic and Mom.

Teresa