Monday, July 14, 2008

Can you Die from Diabetes?

The other day my little brother (15 years old) asked me if I could die
from diabetes, he caught me off guard! I didn't except that to come
put of his mouth...I think he just wanted to hear me preach...LOL
No, I will not die because of diabetes but there are people who die
from complications caused by diabetes.
Diabetes doesn't kill, WE cause self inflected wounds. If people who
have diabetes embrace it, learn about it and become pro active about
their health and nutrition they would have a slim chance of developing
complications!

I hate boring my family with diabetes talk!

Test, Count Carbs, blood work and countless Doctor's appointment's is
worth my life, my limbs and my eyesight...don't you agree??

Diabetes doesn't control me, I control it!

Be Blessed
Cherise
Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very proud of your response, like everything.....you control it, it should not control you. Continue to be strong and know through your wisdom you are educating others.

Love
Eboni

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a tough question! Life is fragile (not only for people with diabetes) and we do the best we can :)

Once my sister (who was 3 at the time), kissed my infusion set when I asked her what she was doing, she said she didn't want "my diabetes to hurt". :)

Arun.N.M. said...

Diabetes can kill even if you are careful. When I was in my medical school,during my undergraduate training [ie about 20 years ago] I have seen many type 1's getting repeated infections and Ketoacidosis and getting admitted very frequently.HbA1c was unheard of then here.The blood sugars are always in 300s and 400s and if you get a value around 200 we felt that was great.Life span of a type 1 Diabetic then was an average around 10 years after the diagnosis.If you are rich and can afford frequent glucose monitoring and multiple injections you live a little longer.
Now the situation have changed a lot here too. Still if you are poor it is most likely that Diabetes reduces your life span.